Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

Navigate / Profile / Search

Recovery REALM Message Forums
Recovery REALM and its MEETINGS are in the EASTERN Time ZONE

Recovery REALM Time is NOW...

Meeting COUNT DOWN Clock

FYI site expenses
Last Post 29 Apr 2012 07:32 PM by recoveryrealm. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Site Admin

--
28 Feb 2012 12:58 PM

After 6 years of service to the recovering community, this past February we launched our first email fund raising campaign. 

So how did it turn out you ask. Well our server sent out over 8000 emails to individuals who registered with Recovery Realm.

Out of the 8000 emails, several people replied, confirming some are indeed sicker than others. We were told to  " take me OFF your mailing list NOW " , "kiss my ass" , and my personal favorite " go F**k yourself "

We do wish to thank the 3 individuals who actually took the time to thank us for our service work but due to financial constraints were unable to donate at this time. 

We would also like to thank the 2 individuals who donated funds to aid us in the running of our chat room and web site.

If you wish to make a contribution you can click on our donations page. 

If you have much give of your wealth
    If you have little give of your heart

Be Part of the Solution...Not the Problem !

--
    28 Feb 2012 06:23 PM
    Wow! I do not know how I missed this. I am sorry that I did. I do not have the ability to donate at this time but I do want to say that this site helped to save my life and for that I am forever Grateful. I want to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart and that I can not put into words the gratitude I have in my heart. I also know that the minute I can afford to donate I will. Thank you again for all that you have done for me and so many others. :-)

--
    15 Mar 2012 08:13 PM
    Stay cool. Rather stay professional. I am a wikipedia fan. It helps me a lot. I used them for an entire year then one day they made a request for a donation. I hemmed and hawed and finally did not donate. I continued to use them. To me they are excellent at what they do and I felt bad not to donate, however they let me use them. Then another year later they laucched another campaighn to accept donations. My initial worries were let go because of the way they campaigned.
    I am a consumer. My information is critical to me. Wiki simply moved forward. This year they provided information thst seemed personal to its campaign.
    If I related to a certain point of view from an author I could and did respond. This made me feel wiki knew my concerns were of no personal nature just that I wanted to believe I mattered, my little 20 dollar donation mattered and that they took full responsibility for not providing enough confidence in others for them to give personal information on the internet.
    I contributed and felt heard. It was only 20 dollars but the way they put it it was great.
    If I am in a [rogram where sharing is so important, then sharing is important and I would like to know the people running the program remember that and help me to share.
    cut downs are cop outs.
    but your a good program. you know that. just keep caring.

--
    21 Mar 2012 12:29 PM
    When I first came in, it was my first meeting. I dont know why I came in. My resentments were wrong but against others that I found fault with. This answer came free. I didn't have to deal with lawyers or others who charged for their servicices. In my minds eye I was wronged why should I pay for people defending me. My resentment wore on. Untill someone said this is help and for free. Everyone else was making a living off my life, but not this program. This advice is free. A person may not like it but they have the gift of knowing it is free.

--
    21 Mar 2012 01:04 PM

Site Expenses.
    I do not know the expense account. To toss this out to us as if we were part of the bord is really cute. I have no idea of site expensesl. If a person wished to account these expenses their hard work would be appreciated. If a person wished to host a campaign for expenses perhaps they should first qualify the term free within their intergroup.
    Sho;ud a site present expenses it should be in an intelligent manner. To me a site expense may mean your lunch fee. It may perhaps be something more relevant, Please explain what your idea of site fee is when elaborating in this manner to laymen. Also this site is free.
    Bill made it free a long time ago.
    My point is simple. This site is free just as A.A. was free. If this site mis less than free or less than A.A. sasy so now. If for some reason this site does not believe in the message of Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob they should say so plainly.

--
    21 Mar 2012 01:47 PM
    Surely you realize that you are dealing with some of the poorest people on earth.
    Dr. Bob as gifted a Dr. as he was received help to pay his mortgage.
    Bill lived in scraggs untill the end.
    His sponsees were poor and eating dinner at his house and Dr. Bob paid for his patients to get A.A. treatment.
    Surely you understand.

--
    21 Mar 2012 03:22 PM
    You know what? This conversation just ticked me off. Theres was a time once when I was fighting for my life. Money had nothing to do with it. I needed money but people could have given me a pot of gold and it would not have helped. I needed God more than anything. Thanks for letting me share. Many conversations with alkies and users helped me. It just did not happen overnight. Some recovery people bugged me, some bothered me, others offered crumbs. If I had wanted more I may have been worse upset. People arent perfect. Today I know how to be grateful for the littelest things. People werent put on this earth to raise me. They are simply here. Maybe to be cared about. God has me.

--
    23 Mar 2012 04:32 PM
    Theres a part in the BB that is quit complicated to me. It states in the fourth step that sometimes there are people who think the woorld owes them a living. When I came in A.A. in 91 I was pretty bent on the steps, especially the fourth. I went through many things to reach A.A. and when I got here I had many more to overcome.
    In the beginning it was much as it is now. One day at a time. A smile, a laugh, a hope, a dream, a wprd of encouragement, or a word of stuff I had never heard before. That meaning that people tried to tell what was on their minds.This was different from the world of distress I came from.
    One thing that stood out to me like a pillar to be reached some day from some distant shore was a qoute from the fourth step. I sat in meeting after meeting looking at succesful people unable to even explain me and reading that book as if it had my answer so this was a real job not just a hobby and I do not doubt the job is still real. so for people interested let me say that in 1990 the BB in the fourth step said " that there were people who took advantage us because they thought the world owed them a living".
    That was too ugly for me. Thankfully the BB had patience for pollyannas who believed all were just rosey of rosie.
    Today I understand that statement meant some people aren't all that and a bag of chips.
    My Grandmom used people, and there are others who use people. If it werent important to know so I dont think the BB would have mentioned users. It took me a while to understand what it meant. But sometimes I was not family or friends I was a little government check.

--
    23 Mar 2012 04:47 PM
    She put me down to a dollar bill. She wore minks and diamonds and me and my family had pintos and mashed potatoes most nights some we missed even that. My parents broke up. I think they thought they could survive her better seperately and they did. We all did better without her. Its just so hard some times to believe she got away with it for so long.
    Today thanks to programs she wouldnt last a day much less break up my sweet parents and make children distraught.
    I wish I knew what I would say to the old witch.

--
    23 Mar 2012 05:24 PM
    I guess expecting someone to know what gentlness is can be too much sometimes.
    Some people really dont understand kindness, intellect, growth, or Spirituality and the goodness from them.
    Some people only know the harsh realities. These realities may signify growth to these people. They think that if they are harsh enough good things will come but they speak to people who believe that if you are kind enough good things will come so there is conflict and pressure.
    ty.

--
    26 Mar 2012 08:23 PM
    Thanks for sharing site expenses. I came in AA in 91.
    I was told to share but in a way of suggesting it only. My friends shared for me in the beginning. They told me how bad it was to use for them. Well expenses took a moment for me. Literaly.
    I meant nothing to the people sharing here genuinely about expenses. It just took a while for me to even get as far as expenses.
    I thought I could help others by telling my story and letting them know they were not alone.
    Expenses are as some of the folks say, a disposition of my problems are getting better.
    I will sharing was not selfish. It was only talking but I had no motives except to to as I sais help others in the only little way I knew, untill I could even handle a word so complex as expenses.

--
    28 Mar 2012 11:21 PM
    When I was in elementary school there were times when teachers would try to pass a little phylisophical enlightenment along in certain circumstanses that took me all my life to understand.
    There were times when I found myself in positions even then that seemed to say that I was right and others were wrong. The teachers would agree with that and nod,and say yes but,
    Rachael
    if there are rules set and principles behind them when you follow those rules and others do not, your reward may be greater because you took the care to follow them dilligently. Do not be discouraged if you are the only one to follow rules, because you may receive a bigger learning lesson from anyone who chose not to.
    I understand that issue today.

--
    31 Mar 2012 07:51 PM
    I guess it only matters when I take my own inventory. I guess we can take others inventories all day long but in the end that is worthless.
    Trusted Servant

--
    02 Apr 2012 02:09 PM
    Rachael; this site is not free. To run the web servers and chatroom are not without cost. What has been asked of the site was merely the same as would be asked of meetings, a passing of the hat to cover expenses.
    Personally I find it appalling that of the many that are registered, so few feel the desire to help with them.
    ~ Big Wheels Keep on Rollin'~

--
    02 Apr 2012 09:04 PM
    Let me put it like this, this campaign lasted a whopping two weeks before we received this miraculas update. Most internet campaigns continue for two momths at least, then they say nothing negative to their followers. I couldnt donate if I had too right now so I am at a double disadvantage.
    I have made several posts here apealling to the nature of the program and the author of this divine report says nothing. It is a ridicule based on the fact the author had such a high opinion however neglects his desperite affairs.
    So this is to the crybaby of these events who say we did not do our part: Listen up
    Did you really run as professional event as to justify your harsh words?
    If this person does not answer then who really cares. I have probably done more servivice work to ensure security than that person has.

Trusted Servant
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Apr 2012 06:11 PM

As the author of the original posting "FYI Site Expenses" I offer an apology to all who this may offended. 

I perhaps should have chosen my words a little more carefully as a representative of the Recovery Realm Site. I however do not apologize for what was said but only for how it was said.

I simply wanted to relay some of the emails that were written in response to a request  for support of funding in the operations of the site. 

Recovery Realm is a private site that has no affiliation with AA or any other 12 step program. It is not a large corporation backed by people of priviliage or wealth. Recovery Realm  was co founded by 2 individuls of modest means and relies greatly on the few that have volunteered of their time to help Recovery Realm be of service to those reaching out for help.

Recovery Realm came online in November 2006, because the people behind it care, and continue to care.

Our services, information, resouces, fellowship chat and online meetings are Free.

So you won't find us restricting you from something until you pay a membership or subscription fee but we offer no apology for asking users of this site  to help in supporting its continued operation.

The email and Donations page were written and designed to encourage those who have some extra money to share it if they like, while not making those who don’t feel bad about it.

It’s a donation given out of love, and ability, rather than obligation. So yes, it’s still a free site, and Recovery Realm is perfectly within their rights to ask for a donation from those who care to make one. No one is required to do so – if they were, it would be called a membership fee. 

Again... 

If you have much give of your wealth
    If you have little give of your heart

Recovery is Contagious...Start an Epidemic
    Trusted Servant
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Apr 2012 06:52 PM

Let ME put it like this Rachael. Skye is the nice one.  Me?  Not so much. I'm not afraid to tell you what I think of your "postings"

You have NO idea how many hundreds of hours Skye has put into this site. His biggest concern is that this site be helpful and easy to navigate. That everyones wants are fulfilled and that includes even special avatars and emoticons. That there are links to every possible helpline there is. Places to express your concerns. 

He hasn't been able to answer you as quickly as YOU think he should cause he is very ill. he is undergoing very serious tests and chemo in readiness for a bonemarrow transplant.

Your sarcasm is not lost on me... "I have made several posts here apealling to the nature of the program and the author of this divine report says nothing. It is a ridicule based on the fact the author had such a high opinion however neglects his desperite affairs." 

Divine report? Give me a break. High opinion> I think not. I guess what you have to accept is maybe answering your pettiness is not top priority right now.

This "crybaby" has suffered huge atrocites and is still recovering from them. He has more inner strength in his little toe than you do in your whole body from what I see from your writtings. 

Shame on you for judging a person and a situation without any knowledge of either. You should be ashamed of yourself.

" The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing."
    Site Admin

--
    29 Apr 2012 07:32 PM

Once again as our Disclaimer states on the Home page:  While Recovery Realm will promote and use the 12 steps to recovery method, we are a seperate entity unto ourselves. Though bearing resemblences to other addiction organizations, such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous, We are not affiliated with, AA, NA or any other organization.

We are a private site that chose to ask for donations not to run a campaign soliciting money. The original post said nothing negative about its membership it only printed emails from the membership that were yes negative but also positive. It made a point in thanking those who did donate at the time of  posting as well as thanked those who volunteered their service.

For those interested, on our DONATIONS Page, we make it perfectly clear that site expenses refer to : hardware, hosting, and bandwidth costs associated with keeping the site up and running day in and day out as well as purchase server hardware, software, upgrades, hosting, programming, domain name, and of course our online chat room and meetings.

Site expenses do not mean our Lunch Fee as you suggested.

As for releasing an expense account, we do not run Recovery Realm as a business we are not in this to make a profit. Recovery Realm is here because we thought there was a need for a safe place for those seeking recovery to go and share their experience.

For 6 years we have kept the financial runnings of Recovery Realm private because we did not see a need for its membership to know how much it cost to bring it online or  keep it online. We have not until recently ever asked anything of the memebership with respect to funding or supporting the operations of the site in a financial way.

But here goes some accounting to what money has been put into Recovery Realm. ( You can do a web search to verify some of  these figures)

Original Chat Room was DigiChat 

150$ set up,  Managed Hosting Service  for 200 users  was 100 a month for a total of 1200$ per year, Annual service plan 240$

Borrowed the money to Later purchase Digichat  server license DC-5  unlimited for $2000 ( DigiChat will  nologer allow  us to login and operate. After several attempts to contact them and lodge a complaint with the BBB we had to find a second Chat room Program which is run by Add on Chat) 

Add On Chat ( has donated parts of its program to us as a gift in kind which  we are very grateful for Thank you again to Chris Dhurr at Add on Chat) It does however cost $400 year plus additionalf fees  for each module such as 35$ each for Avatar and Mobile functioning 

In addition to the fees for operating the Chat room only Recovery Realm also has its website  which is  hosted by GorrilaOnline Servers. Which  has gifted us with  soom tech support and hosting services. However we have paid $200 quarterly plus additional fees for support . $750 Dot Net Nuke instalation and  hosting. 

Recovery Realm wrist bands $150 ( which in the past have been sent out as a thank you for  making a donation) Domain name purchase  $ 20 yearly Website design modules and skins $ 4000 . 

Those are  just a few of the expenses  that we have made and continue to make in order to  keep the site up and running.

Our services, information, resouces, fellowship chat and online meetings  and membership are Free to you but the operation  of this site  is far  from free. 

To all  those who  have  and  continue to support Recovery Realm and its cofounders we thank you !

Be Part of the Solution...Not the Problem !
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Members ONLINE refers to Members online VIEWING the Message Forums
    It does not refer to Chatters in the Chat Room